There are days when I look at all of my responsibilities and my life feels justifiably overwhelming. Being an eternal optimist, I often analyze and rethink my approach to some things in order to actively change my perspective. So last night, after going over everything that is on my plate (of responsibility, that is), I decided to give myself permission to embrace these responsibilities as an asset, looking at them in a positive light instead of rejecting them as a liability and seeing my life as full of burden.
That being said, I’ve decided that I AM THE HEAD OF AN EMPIRE.
Okay, I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out! Here’s the definition…
em-pire (noun): an extensive operation or sphere of activity controlled by one person
Now let’s look at the extensive operation and sphere of activity that I control…
- I am a husband and father of 5 (soon to be 6) children. In this role I am the primary Financial Planner, Head of Security, Sibling Mediator, Home Renovation Supervisor, Academic Counselor and Chief Life Strategist. (Direct Staff: 7)
- I am the Music Director for the worship team at my church. As the keyboard player, I perform every Sunday, presiding over 3 other musicians who look to me for musical changes, and giving vocal and visual cues to 5 singers. I teach all new songs to the group and I’m currently in the process of recording and producing the team’s first commercially viable worship album of original material. (Direct Staff: 9)
- I am a Program Analyst. I work for a non-profit assisting children and families affected by violence and abuse. Specifically, I’m part of a nationally recognized program that encourages fathers to become more involved in the lives of their children. I’m a member of the Program and Policies cluster in charge of determining program direction and growth. I’m responsible for processing intakes for all clients (last fiscal year there were more than 700). I’m also a key member of the Conference and Training committee. (Direct Staff: 4, Indirect Staff: 10)
- I am a Writer. I’m in varying stages of completion on 3 novels. I’ve actively participated in NaNoWriMo every year since 2002. I maintain two active blogs (on Xanga and WordPress). And I have an extensive collection of original poetry and short stories. (Direct Staff: 1, Indirect Staff: 1)
- I am an Entertainer. Wearing the Singer-Songwriter hat, I’ve written well over 600 songs to date. Some of which have been featured in various media. I’ve been a studio singer for several movies, TV shows and commercials. Wearing the Actor hat, I’ve had leading roles in local stage productions, bit roles in film and TV productions, and puppet plays at home. (Staff: 1)
And that’s only a partial list. Altogether, I influence the lives of 32 people, coordinate services throughout Los Angeles County, and make decisions involving multiple industries, including religion, finance, social services, education, and entertainment. I certainly think that qualifies as an empire.
This is my EMPIRE!
So instead of seeing all the things that pull on me, keep me exhausted and then being upset over it, I think about the fact that I’m being trusted to manage this complicated life machine and keep it running. And you know what? I think that’s pretty awesome. (now if I could only find a nice comfy bed)
So… tell me about YOUR empire?